June 18, 2012 - Yes, our June Father's day weekend is full of celebrations. I am wondering if Lucy thinks we have a party every other day at this rate. Ha! Well, this day is the day we celebrated Ian turning 9 years old. 9 YEARS OLD!!!! I cannot believe I am the mother to a 9 year old. I know later down the road I will say, I cannot believe I am the mother to a .......(fill in the blank) year old.
I wanted to make sure Ian's birthday did not get overlooked with all the transition and changes in our family life right now. We (Jason and I) just had to get creative since we are not taking Lucy out in big crowds quite yet and I did not want Ian to have negative thoughts about having Lucy in our family. So, on his birthday, after our social worker left our house -- (China requires a one month post adoption report on home life with the child, so this is the day that worked for all our schedules.) -- I fired up the oven and made all the food Ian requested: 2 different kinds of pizza rolls, tortilla chips and cheese dip, tacos with beef, beans, and cheese, cheese flavored pringles, Invisible kool-aide, birthday bash ice cream and birthday cake. (Yes, I really, really wanted to make sure he enjoyed his day so I went a little overboard with the food and said yes every time he asked if he could have something. I am guilty!) I had to throw some grapes out on the buffet line just to make myself feel better. Ha! We called Grandma and Grandpa Penner to come over and enjoy the food with us. We ate. Ian opened his presents and then had cake and ice cream. This was kind of rushed party because of field work that needed to be done, but I think Ian enjoyed it. He now has his own digital camera to use his photography skills that he learned during school this year (and he won't need to ask me for my camera all the time. Wow, that is really selfish of me).
All in all it was a fun evening. Ian and Aiden started a birthday slumber party down in our dungeon, aka basement, on Monday evening, but both boys ended up in their soft comfy beds upstairs before the night became too late. : ) On Tuesday he invited two of his buddies to join him at Pow Wow for rides, games, and more food. Jason was in charge that day and both my boys came home with a bottle of Mt. Dew in their hands. : ) Needless to say, I think Ian enjoyed his 9th birthday. I look at him sometimes and cannot believe he is my son. Sometimes he makes me want to pull my hair out. Then, there are those sweet moments when we can discuss and think through a certain topic that makes me realize, he is going to be o.k. despite my failures as a parent.
Happy 9th Birthday to our Angry Bird playing, lego loving, swimmer, sister torturing, Odyssey listener, Ian!!
 |
| Newborn hospital picture |
 |
| 1st birthday |
 |
| Aww, our little boy is growing up |
 |
| 9 candles! ("3 rows of 3, Mom," said Ian as I was putting the candles on his cake). |
 |
| I think Aiden is in the background demonstrating his photography skills. Ha! |
Good job, Mom!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Megan, great job pulling that all together. Love your thoughtfulness!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wise Mommy. Your children are all blessed to have wise, Christ-centered parents.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun birthday for Ian. You are a great Mom, Laura!
ReplyDelete