Glory

Glory

Jul 5, 2012

First U.S. doctor appointment

July 5, 2012 - Lucy saw our family doctor today for a physical and to get updated on all her shots and blood work. She did great considering everything they had to do to her. She really liked when the doctor and the nurse listened to her heart with the stethoscope. She sat quietly and just watched what they were doing. She just takes it all in.

She is in the 90th percentile for height and weight, which doesn't surprise me when you look at her. One thing that did surprise me was that she has not lost any weight since being home. She has stayed pretty much exactly where she was at her U.S. Consulate appointment. She seems to be eating less than she did when we were in China and we think she is outside and more active than she would have been in her orphanage, but those of just assumptions. My theory on the eating less is this: I think, with the size that she was when we first saw her, she was fed....ALOT! I think she may have been fed to keep her happy and content. If she fussed, I am guessing they just gave her a bottle of formula or some snacks (I am basing this on reports that we received from the orphanage). I like to think that since she is not eating as much now, but still is happy and sleeps all night, that maybe we are meeting her needs of affection and attention with ourselves instead of food. The downside of the eating less is she seems to be getting more picky about her food and is rather  naughty  distracted at the dinner table. So begins the discipline of table manners and telling our other 3 children over and over that their little sister is watching what they do and is mimicking their behavior. So, we are working on table manners a little more this summer. Many adoptive families talk about their children hoarding food after they come home. We have not seen this with Lucy. She does get excited when she sees us setting the table for a meal or when it is snack time, but she doesn't seem to show signs of hoarding.

Anyway, I digress. I didn't want to make this all about food. Back to Lucy's health.....The doctor said she looks healthy. He didn't see any major issues. We are trying to get her caught up on all her vaccinations. Blood was drawn for all the necessary tests including Hepatitis, HIV, and lead levels, just to name a few. We have an appointment to see a specialist in Sioux Falls to discuss her palate and lip next Tuesday. I will have a lot more questions to ask him at this appointment pertaining to her speech development, her dental issues, and what needs to be done in the future as her mouth grows. I am pretty excited that we have an appointment so soon. I was expecting it to be much later in the summer. I want to get as many doctor visits taken care of while I am on maternity leave from work as I can.

She had to get three immunizations today and blood work. She was just about to fall asleep on my shoulder when they came in for the blood draw. Then, once she finally calmed down from that trauma, she did fall asleep on my shoulder and in came the nurses with the shots. Poor girl! She was a trooper and earned a cookie for what she went through.

I think Lucy is feeling more and more at home with us. She lights up and gets so excited when she sees Jason's pick up drive onto the yard. She runs up to me and gives my leg hugs almost daily now. We have a shapes toy that as soon as I ask, "Lucy, do you want to do shapes?" she runs over to me and sits down and dumps the shapes out and we work on our shapes together. Like I said before, she just takes it all in and now seems to be absorbing it all. She brings so much energy to our house that I am exhausted by the end of the day, but it is so worth it.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Poor Lucy. Home from the doctor's office
Sweet Lucy eating a morning snack on mama's lap



1 comment:

  1. Sweet, sweet little girl, and so blessed to be a part of your family.

    ReplyDelete