Glory

Glory

Jun 17, 2013

Ian is 10!

Happy Birthday to our oldest! 10 years old...I cannot believe my baby boy has turned 10.




We had no idea what we were doing as parents when we brought Ian home from the hospital 10 years ago. I remember having this strange surreal feeling when we buckled him into his newborn car seat and the nurse put him in the car to go home from the hospital. Were they really trusting us to care for such a tiny little baby? This is just a dream, right?
Well, here we are 10 years later. I think we have all grown up a bit since that day. I have seen Ian turn into an independent young boy. He is growing and maturing in many ways. The past few months he has really stepped up to the plate of being the oldest brother. He helps me with the little girls when I ask him to and he sticks with his younger brother when I let them go on bike rides to the library or around town. He gets excited about learning new things and enjoys talking about his new found knowledge. He started 4H this year and enjoyed being a part of the Lego Robotics team. He also started t-ball this summer and I think he is enjoying that too.
Lego Robotics competition this past winter
There are a few stories from this past year that stick out in my mind that shows me how much Ian is growing and maturing. The one that happened just recently is fresh in my mind so I will share it: The children from church (and the community) did a closing concert for their VBS program. Ian was supposed to sing just a little part of a song with one other boy. During the concert I noticed only the other boy got up to the microphone to sing. I wondered what had happened to Ian singing that part with him. When I asked Ian about it after the concert was done, he just told me that the other boy really wanted to just sing a solo by himself and Ian knew it was important for this boy so he just said, no big deal, he could sing the song by himself. Now you have to understand that this is my son who if anyone asks him to sing a solo, act a part in a play, or be anywhere on center stage, he will take the part (or at least try out for it!) He enjoys these types of opportunities. ( I have NO IDEA where he gets that from. Ahem!) So, this thoroughly shocked me when he told me about this whole solo situation. I am seeing a glimpses of him thinking of others above himself every once in a while. Insert proud mommy smile! :)
This boy likes to climb trees
Making Indiana Sugar Cream Pie for his state project at school
 
Birthday celebration with Grandma and Grandpa Penner


 
We are so very proud of the young boy you are becoming, Ian. Yes, we have our battles of the wills here at home, but you will always be loved by us. Your passion for learning is contagious to me and all your ideas exhaust me sometimes, however, I hope that I am never squelching that flame you have to test out those ideas. You are one special boy and I am so glad you are in our family. I love you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment