Glory

Glory

Jan 5, 2012

Christmas - Party of Five

December 24, 2011 - (Remember I am back tracking through our Christmas celebrations.)

Today our family of 5 had our own little Christmas. We have our own little traditions in our family that includes breakfast at a restaurant (so mama doesn't have to cook or clean : ) ), reading from Luke 2 in the bible, the kids opening 3 presents each, and just spending the day as a family. This year while we were reading the bible story, I couldn't help but think that this is our last Christmas as a family of 5. I wondered if Lucy even has a chance to celebrate Christmas in the orphanage she is staying. I wondered how differently our lives are going to be a year from now, Lord willing. After the Luke 2 reading, we prayed as a family thanking God for all He has blessed us with. I had tears in my eyes while I prayed for Lucy on this day. I was missing her. I was full of anxious thoughts about her safety and her health and if anyone was showing her the love that only a family can show her on this day of celebration in our family.

After our little celebration we went to Christmas Eve church service. Earlier in the week our pastor had asked if we would talk a little during the service about what captures our heart about Christmas this year. We declined talking during the service because we weren't positive that we would be at the service, but I did think about this question. My first thought is how blown away I am at the fact that the God of the universe, the creator of all things, the One who triumphs over all things would so willingly send His Son into this ugly, sin-filled earth to give hope for an eternal future. He did not leave us here as orphans, but calls Himself our Father and it is only by Jesus' birth, life, death, and resurrection that we too can be adopted into His family.

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." -John 14:18
During this adoption journey, we, as a family, have enjoyed learning about Chinese culture. The boys are learning about China in school this year which is so cool! Anyway, Jason was at an office pizza party and one of the employees sang this song:


The employee gave Jason the music for the song and at the bottom of the music a little commentary says this:
"In 1936 a committee representing six Protestant churches in China produced a Chinese-language hymnal entitled Hymns of Universal Praise. An effort was made to include, among the 550 songs, many Christian hymns of Chinese origin; but in the Christmas section, this is the only one with both words and music composed by Orientals."
The song is called Midnight, Sleeping Bethlehem. The poem words were written by Yang Ching Chin and the tune was composed by Liang Chien Fong. I thought is was a pretty song and interesting information about the song. It may become a song we traditionally play in our house during Christmas. : )

Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

  1. I asked Kate if it was kind of cool for Ian to be learning about China at school. She said, "No, he already knows it all." hehe. Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete