Glory

Glory

May 20, 2013

Happy Gotcha Day



Today we celebrate Lucy's adoption into our family. Here is the year in review: 


Gotcha Day - May 21, 2012
 




Place of abandonment
Place to call home





First plane ride to the U.S.

Having fun at home

First birthday at home (June 16, 2012)



First visit to the doctor (vaccines - ouch!)


First "real" haircut (not a buzz cut)

First visit to the Fairmont Water Park

Boys first day of school. Saying good bye.

First harvest

First U of M Adoption Clinic visit
First surgery while at home (tubes in ears)

2nd dose of anesthesia while home (Dental procedures under anesthesia)

First time being sick at home


First carved pumpkin


First Christmas


First Minnesota Winter





Sleeping in her toddler bed. Ha!

Lucy and her favorite blankie - "Purple"

Wearing "Gotcha Day" outfit at home

Sneaky girls outside of room asleep


First Mother's Day with the family together

Lucy Fei - You are beautiful!

 At times Jason and I talk about how much it hurts or bothers us that we missed so many memories from Lucy's first 2 years of life. We missed her first smile. We missed her first steps. We missed her first tooth poking through. We missed her first babble or spoken word. We even missed her first surgeries to repair her lip and palate. However, as I have looked through pictures over the last year with Lucy at home, I remember so many memories that we have been able to make with her. We weaned her from her bottle. Yes!!!! It used to take 45 minutes to one hour for her to fall asleep. We stayed at her side while she fell asleep those first few months. We now read books, rock a little, and off to bed she goes. She is comfortable in her bed. We have celebrated and praised her for working hard in speech therapy and have been there when her words started to make sense to us. We have been able to get her out of diapers and into big girl undies. Double YES!!!!:) We see how she plays with her baby doll. With care, she holds her baby and sways back and forth like a little Mommy. She makes us laugh when she plugs her nose and says "stinky" when her baby needs changed. We enjoy listening to her sing, and I may be biased, but I think she has signs of being musically talented. I look in the rear view mirror as we are driving and see hands lifted high when KLOVE plays a song that she recognizes. We have witnessed a sad, sad grieving child blossom into a happy energetic 2 year old that blends right into our family. There is nothing like seeing healing happen before your very eyes. We have witnessed healing in Lucy's life and have realized the healing that comes when our Heavenly Father draws close to us and says, "Don't be afraid child. I love you. You are mine."

"What can I offer the Lord
for all he has done for me?
 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and praise the Lord’s name for saving me.
I will keep my promises to the Lord
in the presence of all his people."  ~Psalm 116:12-14

4 comments:

  1. What a year it has been for your family. What special memories of family you have created in Lucy's life and in her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day to the Penner Family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Laura. What a beautiful look back at your first year together. So excited at what God is continuing to do in your family! Love sharing this anniversary with you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure why, Laura, but this made me cry. Maybe just knowing (not, KNOWING, but trying to understand) how hard it was at first and how much hurt was mixed in with the joy. It's amazing to see how much she's grown in her first year as part of the Penner family.

    ReplyDelete