Glory

Glory

May 16, 2013

Throwback Thursday. One Year Ago Today.....

One year ago today, Jason and I took the kids to the park before school and ate breakfast together for the last time as a family of 5. As we dropped Ian and Aiden off at school, I remember tears filling my eyes because we were about to embark into unknown territory and I was leaving my 3 children behind.

Last year Mother's Day - a few days before leaving
There were so many things I was anxious about on this day last year. I was anxious to leave 3 children behind as we traveled half way around the world to bring home another child. I was anxious about making all our flights and traveling for almost 24 hours straight. I was anxious to see what China was like and to be in a completely different culture. I was anxious to see Lucy after waiting so long for her. How was she going to respond to us?

Getting packed

Jason, taking on the task of packing and staying within weight limitations

Minneapolis to Tokyo - First stop before going to Beijing



Now, one year later, I see that I had nothing to be anxious about, as always. I tend to be quite a worrier but I am learning in my later years of life that it does not help one bit to be anxious or to worry. Trust. This is what I continue to learn. My dad showed me these verses when I was very young. Worrying came so early in my childhood and he pointed me to some good advice for which I am thankful.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matt. 6:24-34

A souvenir we bought in China.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Lovely Lipstick Listening Laura! We prayed for you a lot on that day, one year ago. And now, Lucy is part of your family. How can a year go so fast and so slow at the same time?

    ReplyDelete