After the passport paperwork was done we went to the Jiaozuo notary office to sign a lot of papers and receive a lot of papers. I just do what they tell me to do and check over what they tell me to check over and sign where they tell me to sign. : ) That visit went smooth as could be and we hopped back into the van for some more crazy driving. (Chinese people are crazy drivers. I cannot even watch out the window. No one ever seems to get in an accident or get hit in the middle of the road while they are walking across 6 lanes of traffic so it works for them, I guess). Sorry, I am getting sidetracked! We hopped back into the van and, per our request, we went to the site that Lucy was abandoned. As we walked up to the restaurant where she was found, tears started rolling down my face. I imagined a mom with a two day old baby with a deformed face in maybe a box or a carrier of some sort leaving her baby in the early hours of the morning or late at night in order for this baby to be found by someone. It was quite an emotional moment that I was not expecting. I had to hand the video camera over to Jason because I could not talk without getting choked up.
| Rita took a picture of the three of us standing at the place Lucy was abandoned |
(I am having issues with uploading our videos, so I don't know if it will work.)
We were also able to visit the outside of the hospital where Lucy's lip and palate surgery was done. It is a charity hospital that specializes in cleft lip and palate surgeries. It was nice to see. Rita said this is also the old orphanage for Jiaozuo City. They moved to the current orphanage in 2009, so Lucy was never in this builiding.
O.k. well after we made all the important stops, we headed back to Zhengzhou. During this 2 hour trip in the van, we saw a new Lucy emerge from her shell. I made her giggle and smile. She was still sitting on Jason's lap, but I was having a lot of fun with her.
| Hi Fei Fei |
| playing Kid's Doodle on the Kindle Fire |
| Hollywood!!!! |
| There's a smile! |
When we came back to the hotel a few families were getting ready to head to a place called The Lotus Center. It is basically a big shopping mall plus grocery store. We dropped a few things off in our room and we were on our way with them. Again, Lucy loved being out and about with everyone. She sat in her stroller so happy and content. She would look up at me and smile. I even blew her a kiss, not expecting one in return, but I did get one. She knows how to blow kisses. It was great!
| Lucy trying on some new shoes at the Lotus Center. She became quite the attraction as we were trying to find sandals that fit her chubby little feet. The shoes I brought are the wrong size. |
It is quite fun being among the Asian people. They are so friendly and love trying to communicate with us. While looking for Lucy's formula, one lady said, "My English not very good" and then just laughed and laughed. It was great! I think we will have to make a trip back there again before we leave and yes, Lucy went home with not one, but two pairs of adorable shoes. I also had to find some barrett's to put in her hair. I was not expecting so much hair. The last pictures we received of her, they had shaved her hair again. It has grown a lot! So I picked up some cute barrett's to dress my little China doll. : )
We walked back to our hotel with two other couples from our travel group. We walked through a park and this sign just cracked me up. I must share:
| The island to practice English?????? Huh!? We did not find the island, but we will have to go back and look for it later. |
We came back to the hotel and played in our room. Lucy did not cry and she actually played with us. Yay! We are making headway. Well, we were making headway for a while. Then she noticed the door and kept begging to get out. We thought she had a long day with little cat naps, so she must be exhausted. We gave her a bath (which is still is not too fond of) and tried to calm her down for bed. Bed time is still hard for her. I think when she gets tired she is looking for her bed she is used to sleeping in. We have to just pace back and forth with her (Jason does the holding and I just pace and hum and sing to her) until her eyes get so heavy we know it is safe to put her in her crib. She is sleeping now. What a great day we had with our little Lucy. Tomorrow we are going to a zoo. Another fun day planned!
I am getting a little homesick. I am especially missing my kids and home cooked meals. This going out to eat is getting old and we still have a long ways to go.
Chinese word for the day: shu = tree : )
It is good to see a smile on Lucy's face. God is good all the time!
ReplyDeleteSorry, but I am laughing at Jason sweating bullets holding Lucy during the passport pic & her wearing a man's shirt. It probably wasn't funny at the time, but I can't help but laugh. And then of course, I can't help but cry as I read the next paragraph. I am glad you've had some good play times & are getting some smiles. Continuing to pray for you & your kiddos...
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds like you guys are having a good time! So glad you finally got your Lucy! Will continue to pray for you! She will adjust, how can she not grow to love you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you Cousin! Enjoy the rest of your time in China.
ReplyDeleteI get teary when reading your stories. I am so touched by little Lucy. It will be wonderful when she is old enough to realize how God has blessed her! Love, Aunt Sandy
ReplyDeleteI LOVE reading your updates and stories. Almost feel like there experiecing it with you. :) Its fun to see how she is coming along. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. You are very much so in our prayers!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, LOVE the pictures and your updates Laura! Megan said it well, I actually think she described how I was feeling. :) Lucy is so lucky to have you and Jason as her parents and she will soon know how blessed and loved she is! I can hardly wait until you are all adjusted as a family, so I can begin to know your beautiful Lucy too! We are looking forward to your 3 kiddos over after school on Friday! It will be a fun time celebrating the last day of school! Take care! Give your beautiful daughter an extra hug today from me. :)
ReplyDeleteLove reading this, Laura! So glad that you were able to visit the place that Lucy was abandoned and even take pictures there. And glad that you're seeing some smiles emerge! :)
ReplyDelete